Saturday 7 April 2012

Cruise to Bahamas (14 Months old and 16 weeks pregnant)

In late March, we went on a 7 day cruise on NCL to the Bahamas. My parents came with us. We drove to New York City where the cruise left out of. We left Sunday morning at 2am and arrived in New York around 9:30am. That included stopping for gas and breakfast at McDonald's. We wanted Austin to sleep most of the trip. However he was confused why he was in the car at 2am so he decided to stay awake with us until about 3:30am. At McDonald's there was a play area so Austin got to run around and play. He liked it.

When we arrived to the cruise port we parked the car next to the cruise ship. The parking was really convenient (albeit expensive). We checked in and waited to board the cruise ship. Once we got on board around noon, we went and had some lunch. After lunch our room was not ready until 2pm. It was difficult because Austin really needed a nap and there was no where for him to nap. When we finally got him in our room and put him in the pack and play he wanted no part of napping. So I placed him in the stroller and rolled him back in forth in our room until he fell asleep. Of course nap time did not last too long because of the muster drill.  Once the ship got going, we went to the deck to see the city and the statue of liberty as we sailed past it.

Austin was sick before we left on the cruise. I took him to the doctor on Saturday and they told us that he had a throat virus and constipation. For constipation they recommended Mirlax and many and fluids and fruits. Austin does not like juice but he will eat strawberries and grapes. They said it was safe for us to travel.

On Sunday night Austin did not feel well at all. He coughed all night long and woke us with every hour crying. Then he woke up for the day around 6am. We had to get out of our stateroom quickly so he did not wake up our neighbors. We went to the buffet for breakfast. It was funny because we saw other people there with babies. Nobody else gets up at 6am for breakfast on a sea day.

On the cruise they had the Under 2 Zoo which was a playroom with lots of toys. It was nice because it was open everyday from 9am-6pm. They also had daily activities like painting, coloring, and singing songs. The painting was really messy and we could not get it out of Austin's clothes so we only did that once. But it was an experience.

In Port Canaveral, we did not even get off the ship. We stayed on and took Austin to the baby swimming pool. It was so nice they had one. Austin really liked swimming. Between meals, naps, and a few activities during the day our day was over.

We would go to dinner with my parents every night around 5pm. We usually ate in the main dining rooms. On the last night of the cruise I even got Austin a plate of spaghetti and he loved it. Of course he was quite messy. I wish I would have thought of that sooner. After dinner Brian, Austin, and I would go for a mile walk on the top deck. I really enjoyed it. Brian and I talked about what it will be like once Sibby is here. We are interested to see after Sibby is born what our new lives will be like. We know then our family will be complete.


At NCL's private island we took a tender to shore with my parents. We took Austin swimming. Then we had some lunch. After lunch, we went back to the ship. It was fun to be at the beach with Austin.


In Nassau we walked around the city center. We ended up buying a flute for Austin. Austin just liked to carrying it. We enjoyed walking around for the day.

We had a nice relaxing vacation. It was great my parents were with us because if we wanted a break they would watch Austin. One night Brian and I even had dinner alone at a Japanese restaurant on board. It was nice to have a break.

The drive home was long but we made it home safely. Brian and I have never been big fans of driving. We much rather fly, but flying can be expensive.  With another baby on the way, we will likely start to drive more on vacations.  This was part of our plan since most of our travels before kids were to far away places.  There are still many places within driving distance and within the U.S. that we have never seen. Austin did well on the drive back. He obviously gets tired of being in his car seat so we stop and he can walk around.



Tomorrow is Easter. This year the Easter Bunny is coming. I am excited for Austin even though he does not understand. Also this week we find out Sibby's gender. I am so excited about it! Once we find out I get to plan Sibby's room.

This pregnancy has been different for me. Part of it is I can't only focus on it and plus I know what to expect. I do not enjoy being pregnant. Right now I basically need to wear maternity clothes however they are big on me and I look fat. I don't have just the basketball belly like last time. I am wider all over. So far I have gained 12 pounds and I am 20 weeks pregnant. Plus my biggest problem with pregnancy is constipation. It is much worse than last time. But having a baby is all worth all the challenges of pregnancy.

We are looking forward to this week to find out Sibby's gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment