Wednesday 23 December 2015

Austin's Surgery

Right before Christmas, Austin needed to get ear tubes again.  He has had hearing tests every 3 months.  His last one wasn't good.  He had a cold which did not help. It was decided it was best to get tubes again. This was his third set.  There was a chance they were going to take out his adnoids out.  The doctor was going to explore once he was in surgery to determine their size.  If large, they would need to come out.  I really thought they would but it was determined it was not needed. That was great because the recovery is not long at all.

I was originally upset when I found out he surgery was not until 11:45 am.  Austin loves breakfast and thought there was no way he could do it.  We decided to keep Austin up late on Sunday night.  He let him eat anything he wanted.  It was a great night for Austin.  Sydney went to bed by 8:30pm and he had Mommy and Daddy all to himself.  He loved it.  We played his game Trouble.  It was so fun!  Austin and I kept landing on Daddy and he kept having to go home.  We have never laughed so hard.  Austin got to eat all the snacks he wanted.  Around 11pm, we put Austin to bed.  We were hoping he would sleep in.  He got up around 7:30am which was good.  Sydney was up too and we got her ready to go to school.  I was going to have Sydney eat breakfast at school so it didn't bother Austin but he was insistent that she could eat Lucky Charms in front of him.  He really did not care.

Austin and I took Sydney to school.  Then I decided to take him to park to play and walk a trail.  However I did not look at the weather and it started to rain.  We still had fun though.  We laughed and then came home.  Once at home, Austin wanted to do a Kiwi Crate.  He loves those things!  We let him do that.  After it was done, it was time for us to leave for the hospital.

Once at the hospital, Austin got to play a video game  in the waiting room.  He loves it!  Then they called us back.  Austin did not like wearing a hospital gown without underwear.  We distracted him enough.  He got to put stickers on his gas mask and pick a flavor chap stick to put in the mask to smell.  Austin wanted Daddy to go back with him so he did.

In the waiting room, Brian and I worked on our computers.  Before I knew it, it was time to go back to see Austin.  I knew at that point they did not do his adenoids.  After surgery all Austin wanted was his IV out.  After his IV was out, his ears hurt and the nurse had to get an order for Tylenol.  Once he received his Tylenol, we were on our way home.  When we got home, I thought we would have a relaxing afternoon.  When we asked Austin if he wanted to lay on the couch and watch was movie, he cried.  He said no I want to play.  So I played with him all afternoon.  Brian really needed to get some work down.

Austin decided that afternoon he wanted to write all the words to jingle bells.  I told the letters that made the words and he did it.  He is so good a writing now.  It's amazing because about 6 months ago he would complain everyday I made him practice his letters.  Now he loves to write.  We played some games and then I went to pick up Sydney.  Then they jumped on couch cushions.  There was no relaxing for him.

We really hope this is his last set of ear tubes!

No comments:

Post a Comment