Monday 15 October 2012

Happy Belated Birthday Brian (20.5 months and 6 weeks)

On Sunday we took pictures of Sydney while Austin was napping.  This was her first official photo shoot.  Here are some of the pictures.

Then we went down to my parents house for dinner.  They made a pie for Brian's birthday.  We never celebrated Brian's birthday this year.  The timing of his birthday was terrible.  First Sydney was only 3 weeks old and we were trying to figure her out.  Then Brian was really sick.  Plus he traveled to California on his birthday for work.  It was insanely crazy on his birthday.  I feel really bad that we did not celebrate it!  It was nice of my parents to celebrate it.



Sunday night Austin stayed at my parents house.  They love having him.  Austin really enjoys it too.  It was funny because when we left, Austin said bye-bye almost like please leave mom and dad so I can have fun!  It was weird only having Sydney at home.  It's funny because even though Austin is only 20 months old, it's hard to remember our lives before Austin.  And now it's doesn't seem right if we don't have both of them.

Austin continues to go to daycare on my scheduled days to work.  At first, I really needed that.  Now though I really miss when he's not here with me all day.  Austin has been great when we are home alone.  He understands that it is only me and that I must take care of him and Sydney.  Sometimes I feel bad for Sydney though when Austin is home because most of the time his needs are met first (he's the squeakier wheel so to speak).  Luckily she doesn't seem to mind.

Another fun development is that Austin got his own stool.  He used to brush his teeth while sitting with his feet in the sink in the bathroom.  Now that he's wearing pants because it is getting colder out, he gets them all wet.  So we bought a stool so Austin could stand by the sink.  Brian helps him brush his teeth each night.  The stool was only intended for the bathroom, but Austin loves it for all things.  He's basically grown 11 inches overnight!  Now he carries it everywhere and uses it for everything.  It's quite fun to watch!  He even uses it to do things that he's tall enough to do without it.



It's hard being a parent.  You are always worrying if what you are doing is right and best for them.  I was reading something recently and it said it's great having kids close together because the first few years are rough but then they will play with each other and won't need mommy or daddy to play with them.  That made me sad.  I really enjoy playing with Austin!  Austin loves playing with his daddy because its more fun.  Brian does fun stuff with Austin like picking him up and taking off outside on a moment's notice to see a helicopter if we hear one (Austin loves helicopters although buses are still his favorite).  Brian holds Austin upside down and carries him on his shoulders.  He also lets him do things I would not think of doing like filling the sink with bubbles and letting him play in it.  Austin adores his daddy.

That made me think I need to start doing some fun things with Austin.  So everyday I am going to try and doing something fun with him.  Yesterday we made banana bread together.  However instead of him just putting the ingredients in the bowl, I let him have his own bowl on the floor and he put his own ingredients.  He added flour, baking soda, salt, and then he wanted to add "juice".  So I decided to give him some lemon juice to add.  The poured it in and to his surprise it started bubbling over.  He was not expecting that.  After he got over the shock of it getting him really messy, he played in it and wanted more ingredients.   The kitchen floor was a complete mess and so was Austin.  But I did not care.  I was determined to let Austin have fun and worry about the mess later.  We spent about an hour doing this.  It worked out because Sydney was sleeping.  It allowed me to spend quality time with Austin.

After we were done, Austin decided he wanted to play downstairs.  It was great because Austin spent a few minutes playing by himself and I was able to clean up the kitchen.  Austin seemed to be in a better mood because he got so much of my undivided attention first thing in the morning.  We also listened to music and danced.  Pandora is great and they have children's radio stations that Austin loves.  We even did the hokey pokey.  Austin and I really enjoyed our day.

Sydney has been vomiting this week.  Sydney has always spit up much more than Austin ever did however twice this week she has really vomited her milk back up.  First was with Brian at night when I was sleeping.  Most nights I sleep from 9-11 pm and Brian takes care of Sydney.  Well during that time she vomited all over him and the couch.  Oh this is why we are glad we don't have too nice of things!  We got our couches probably about 7 years ago.  I really love them and think they are very comfortable.  But now our kids are going to ruin them!  Brian used carpet cleaner to clean it up but it still smelled in the morning.  I used baking soda and water mixture and that took the smell away.  Then Sydney vomited on the other couch the next day with me.

I am not sure why she does it but after a while she drinks more and is fine.  We try to keep her upright after feeding and make sure she gets her burps out.  It takes a while for her to burp many times.  Sydney's most fussy time is from 8-10 pm usually when Brian has her (a couple weeks later than this, we realized it was because she didn't like the bottle more so than the time of the day). I decided to try something different to try and stop that.  Once Austin goes to bed, Sydney gets a bath.  She loves water and likes to play in it.  So we let her get her energy out.  After bath time, I fed her and she goes to sleep.  Then she sleeps 5-6 hours.  I think its a win win situation.  Sydney is happy and not fuzzy.  Brian doesn't have to deal with the fuzziness all alone.  I get to sleep for 5 hours after she goes to bed.  That is an awesome feeling!

I'm so excited for this weekend.  We are taking Austin to fall festivals which is basically a pumpkin patch with hay rides.  My parents are going to watch Sydney so we can spend the whole evening with Austin.  I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment