Thursday 8 November 2012

Back to Work (21.5 months and 10 weeks)

Last Saturday I went and got my hair highlighted and cut.  I got 5 inches cut off my hair.  My hair has not been this short in a very long time.  Usually I am nervous when I get my hair cut.  Not this time.  I wanted my hair cut so badly.  I don't have time to care of my long hair.  So having shorter hair is wonderful right now.  I really like it.

Saturday night was trick or treat in our neighborhood.  Our neighbors came over and brought dinner.  They have 4 kids.  They are a little older than Austin but Austin still likes to play with them.  After dinner, the dads took the kids trick or treating while Sheri and I stayed home with Sydney.  Austin had a great time.  Austin loves riding on Brian's shoulders but he would always walk up to the houses.  I guess a few times Austin even tried to go inside people's houses.  The neighbor kids always helped Austin and made sure he did not go in their house.  It was sweet.

I went back to work on Tuesday.  I left for work at 7am.  I fed Sydney at 6am.  When I put her in her swing after eating, I knew that was the last time I was holding her until after work.  It was a little sad but I did not cry.  I was really happy to be going back to work.  Austin was not up yet when I left. That was a little sad too because I always get him up in the morning.  I love my morning time with Austin.

Brian got them both ready for school and took them to daycare.  I had everything packed for them.  Austin is a little slow moving in the mornings (at bedtime too) but luckily Austin did not move too slowly so Brian could get to work.  Brian said the drop off went well.



Work was extremely busy for me.  I had so much to catch up on.  Plus I pumped twice during the day.  I really am not a big fan of pumping at work.  But I got to do what I got to do.  Plus my pump was acting funny so I knew I needed to call Medela once I got home to get that figured out.  I was getting milk in the tubing and my left breast was not pumping well even though it was full of milk.  It was annoying!  Then I ended up working a little later than I wanted to.  So I rushed home from work.  Got dinner started and ran to pick up the kids.  When I got there, they had just started feeding a bottle to Sydney.  I missed it by 5 minutes.  Because that meant I would have to pump again when I got home.  With my pump not working, this did not make me too happy.  Then when I went and got Sydney's car seat by her crib there was a pacifier in her crib that was not hers!  Great, now she is going to be really sick.  They felt really bad and I understand it happens but this was not going well. (It turns out that we later determined this was actually one of Austin's old pacifiers they found in the bottom of the baby bag we were reusing - Austin never really used his which is why it didn't even occur to us that he had one to find and use).


I went and got Austin then we went back to pick up Sydney.  Austin really enjoyed that because he got to put her in the car seat and carry her out to the car.  Austin loves to help take care of his little sister.  Then we went home.  Austin wanted attention.  I needed to pump and make dinner.  Sydney was crying for some reason.  Oh how I hate this time of the day.  Finally I decided to nurse Sydney because that would stop her from crying.  Then I sat on the couch with Austin and watched bus videos.  However it was too late for Austin he was already having a melt down.  Poor Austin.  I was so happy to see Brian get home very soon after.  We ate dinner and ran to Target to get new pumping supplies.  Austin loves his trips out so it worked out.


On Wednesday, Sydney had her 2 month old check up.  Brian met me at the doctor's office but they were running behind so he did not get to stay long.  They said that she is growing well and everything looks good.  She is in the 40th percentile for weight and 98th percentile for height.  Sydney weighed 11 pounds 8 ounces and she is 24 1/2 inches long.  She is going to be a tall girl.  It looks like I am going to be the short one in the family.

Wednesday night and early Thursday morning Sydney had a fever.  We did not know if it was because of her shots or because she started daycare.  It got as high as 100.4.  For children under 3 months, you have to call the doctor when that occurs.  Early Thursday morning, Sydney was also vomiting up her milk.  I tried to give her Tylenol but she kept vomiting.  I called the physician on call and she said for me to bring her into the office the morning.  That meant I had to call off work.  Brian was willing to stay home with her but since she was sick we did not know how well she would take the bottle.  She is not a huge fan of the bottle.  So I stayed home and took her to the doctor.

The doctor was not that concerned.  He said to keep giving her Tylenol and keep her hydrated.  He thought it was mostly likely due to the vaccines   Even though I was suppose to be back to work, it was like I was still on maternity leave since Austin was in daycare and I was home with Sydney.  I talked with my boss and she let me come in Friday afternoon.   Brian went to work in the morning and my mom came over and watched the kids until Brian got home after lunch. I was so glad I got to go to work since I was so far beyond on all my work stuff.


We are starting to develop our new routine and all and all everything is going well.

No comments:

Post a Comment