Wednesday 15 December 2010

Family Baby Shower (33 weeks 4 days)


Last Thursday, Melissa and my mother in law came into town. I took the day off work and picked them up at the airport. We went to breakfast and went shopping for the shower. It was a lot of fun.

Saturday was my baby shower. It was really exciting! Melissa worked really hard at organizing everything and making it perfect. The theme was monkeys and it really turned out nice! Melissa and my mother in law made cute little table decorations that were like cakes but with diapers inside and monkey faces sticking out of them. It was a clever idea. Also they made chocolate animal party favors. Again it was perfect! I cannot thank them enough. Everyone did a great job organizing the shower and we had a lot of fun. My dad and Brian stayed to help setup and load the car at the end. Brian also took pictures throughout.



There were about 30 people at the shower. It was great to see a lot of family and friends... especially people that I don’t get to see often. Melissa arranged several games that were fun. First they had to guess how big my stomach was. Then Melissa had people take a T-shirt and make it into a baby’s outfit. Somehow I was one of the model babies and they made me look crazy. I had fun though. She also had a baby animal game that I found pretty difficult. People had to match what baby animal is made when two different animals mate. I don’t know my zoology. It was a good game though. The last game was a door prize. Everyone got a diaper corsage when they arrived. At the end the person who had the dirty diaper (upon inspecting the inside) got a prize. It was a great shower.


Brian and I had people guess baby’s name. They could guess a boy and girl’s name. Surprisingly no one guessed either name right. We think that it is so obvious what baby’s name is going to be but none of our family has guessed it yet. We decided on a theme for the naming of all of our children. The boy’s name was a little bit more challenging to come up with but we found the perfect name. Soon our family will know the names.

We tabulated the list of guesses people submitted for the names at the end of this post if you are curious.



I got a lot of great gifts at the shower. My brothers and sister in laws in Texas got us phenomenal gifts. We got both strollers and the infant car seat. Those things are necessarily and we were so happy we got them. Also at the shower, Baby got a lot of clothes. I don’t think I will have to buy any clothes for baby for at least 6 months! We also got a lot of bath products, books, a bookshelf, gift cards, blankets, and diapers. My parents even got Baby a little suitcase and filled it with clothes. Everyone was so generous!
It was a fun weekend with the shower. It was sad that Melissa and my mother in law had to go home. There is a good chance that next time they see me I will have baby in my arms instead of my stomach. We are getting really close to delivery now.



After the shower we took everything home and started to find places to put it. Baby's room is getting more organized. We still have a lot of stuff to organize and put together though! Good thing we still have a few weeks left.

Overall I am still feeling well. I am getting more tired. Many night I need a little nap in the evenings because I am so tired. I have been working 9-11 hours a day so that is not helping. Baby is growing but my stomach can't keep up. It is leaving less and less room. I feel baby kicking and moving a lot and many times it is painful. I have gained 23 pounds. Most people tell me that I look really good for being 8 ½ months pregnant. I hope that is true because I still think I am pretty big.

Today I went on a job interview. I will write more on that on my next blog post. For now, I need to get some sleep.

Here are the guesses we received for the names at the shower:


Girls Names

  • Alexa

  • Ann

  • Ava

  • Carrie

  • Catherine x2

  • Cindy

  • Chelsie

  • Elizabeth

  • Emily

  • Emma

  • Hazel

  • Julia

  • Kathy

  • Madison

  • Marie

  • Margarita

  • Mackenzie

  • Mattie x2

  • Megan

  • Melissa

  • Rachel

  • Shara

  • Tracy


Boys Names:

  • Brian x2

  • Donald x2

  • Ethan

  • Frank

  • Hunter

  • Jack Daniels

  • James x2

  • Jason

  • John x2

  • Mattie

  • Michael x5

  • Ryan

  • Shawn

  • Tom

  • Tyler

  • Wayne

  • William

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I put my guess in... at least I don't remember doing it. I guess Christopher for a boy and Christina for a girl. I still prefer Mattie for a girl and Mattie for a boy but hey you can't get everything you want in life.... although I get dibs on giving the kid her nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your shower was a great one. Its fantastic to see how enthused the family is about the baby! I had one something shipped..it was neither fun or cute.. but you wanted it so it was practical, did it reach? :-) Hope the next few weeks fly by quickly..can't wait to me the little one.

    ReplyDelete