Wednesday 1 December 2010

Hospital Tour (31 weeks 4 days)

On Saturday, we went on our hospital tour. We invited our parents to come along. My mom had to work so she did not come. However my dad and Brian’s mom went with us which was nice. I decided that I wanted to deliver at Hillcrest. I really like that they have a neonatal intensive care. I hope that we don’t have to use it, but if we do I want to have it available to us.

Once we arrived to Hillcrest, we first went to registration. We had to register with my medical and insurance information. It was also interesting because I had to sign a consent form for baby already. Wow this is all seeming very real!

We walked around the hospital for about an hour. We went to labor and delivery then over to postpartum. The labor and delivery room looked really nice. I asked several questions while I was there. Brian and I are very informed about our options about the birth. We wanted to know what they have available to us and what we need to bring.

I am hoping to deliver naturally so I will need things to help make that happen. One thing is a birthing ball. Hillcrest has them but we will bring one along too just in case. We will also have music prepared for me to help as needed. I am also thinking that the shower and/or bath tub may help me so we will need to make sure Brian packs a swimsuit so he can help me as needed. Even though I am the one who has to deliver our baby, Brian has an extremely important role to make sure I do this successfully. I will need his support and encouragement though everything. I know he will do great.

We were all very happy with Hillcrest. I think it was a good choice to deliver there. The only thing I have a concern about is that they have semi private rooms for postpartum. They try to avoid using them however sometimes they have to. I really hope I don’t have to share a room. I want Brian to spend the night with us but he cannot do that if I have to share a room. The hospital encourages new parents to have baby in the room all the time. I think that is a great idea and what that to happen but I am going to need Brian’s help.

Sunday night Brian came down with a GI virus. I woke up around 3 am to Brian vomiting. He has not been sick like that for over 15 years. He had a fever of 101. We had a daycare tour scheduled on Monday morning but I had to cancel it because Brian was sick. I then told him that he had to stay home from work. At first he thought I was crazy but after he threw up a third time, he realized that he was not able to go to work.

Brian was so concerned that I was going to get sick. He would not get near me and he actually locked himself downstairs in our spare bedroom. I tried to explain to him that I work in a hospital and am around sick people all the time. Of coarse I did not want to get sick but at times he was going a little too crazy. There was no contact for a day and half until he got better. He sanitized everything he touched and he was doing his our laundry daily. I was not allowed to touch anything he had contact with. All the windows were left open for 2 hours before I got home from work to get rid of germs (it was near 50 degrees today).

I wanted Brian to get better quickly which luckily he did. This is an important week for us. My work baby shower is Wednesday and Thursday is the big Cavs and Heat game.

No comments:

Post a Comment