Thursday 30 November 2017

Thanksgiving

While my dad was dying, we had a severe storm that caused a lot of damage in our area.  Many trees down and we didn't have power for a day.  Luckily we have a generator and Brian got that started.  The storm happened when I was driving back from my parents house.  I had Sydney with me.  Austin was with Brian.  All the roads were closed with either down trees or power lines.  Finally Brian found a way to our house and told me which was to go.  I was so scared.  Brian had a lot of cleaning up of trees to do once the storm was over. 

Thanksgiving was different this year.  If you would have told me two months ago this would be the holidays this year. I would not have believed it.  My mom understandably did not want to cook Thanksgiving.  Luckily my kitchen is done so I did not mind doing it. We watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade. Austin and Sydney enjoyed it.  Austin even called Uncle Dean when the Sour Patch Kids float came on.  It was cute!

I took the challenge to let the kids help.  Austin got really into it.  Sydney helped a lot too.  They cut up vegetables.  They peeled potatoes.  They had fun and I enjoyed the help.  Only if I could let go of the mess a bit.   The mess drives me crazy. 

My oven even behaved.  We really need a new oven but just haven’t found the best deal for one yet.  But it stayed on the entire time and we had a delicious Thanksgiving meal.  My mom and grandpa came over. They did not stay too long.  By 5pm they were gone.  So Brian decided to take the kids out and show them what Black Friday is.  It was not as crazy as it used to be since stores now open on Thanksgiving however it was still something for them to see. 

I worked on Friday.  Brian took the kids to the Science Center.  Austin was so happy.  He has been wanting to do that for a while now so he finally got to go.  Then the weekend we stayed around the house and cleaned up.  We organized the basement and trying to get the spare bedroom together.  We also cleaned up outside.  It was nice to stay at home for a bit. 

Thanksgiving was different this year.  And honestly it will never be the same. But we made the best of it and continued to move along.  

No comments:

Post a Comment