Sunday 24 July 2011

Crawling and a little bit of walking (26 weeks)

Austin is 6 months old already. He is getting so big! Last week, Austin started crawling. He likes to go after the diaper wipes that we usually kept on the floor near his changing pad. He will now crawl across the room to get them. He also will crawl towards toys or anything else he wants. It’s really cute except now it’s really hard to leave him in the living room alone even for a second.

Last night, we had an outdoor movie night with our friends. It was a bad weekend for many people so only 10 people came over. It worked out because it ended up raining and we had to watch the movie inside. This was the first time that many of our friends met Austin. He was so good. He loved all the attention. Any one that would hold or play with him was his new best friend. Our friend Theresa held Austin’s hands and Austin started walking across the kitchen floor to me. Brian and I could not believe it. He just started crawling and now he is taking steps! It was amazing to see. Check out the videos below:





This morning after Austin woke up he crawled everywhere in the living. He is so active now. At our party, our friend brought their 3 week old. It is hard for us to imagine Austin was ever that small and non-active. It does not help that Austin is so big for his age. Everyone told us that babies grow up fast. They are right!

I am extremely happy that I exclusively breast fed Austin for 6 months. That was my goal and I did it! Nothing about breast-feeding was easy. Since I mostly pumped, I did not feel that special connection that many breast-feeding mothers talk about either. I did it because I knew it was what was best for Austin. However I really cannot do it any longer. I am now only pumping twice a day. I am hoping in about a week I will be completely done.

We bought formula at the store for the first time tonight. It is kind of sad for me too. I wish I could continue pumping. However it is so time consuming and it’s hard to do. Brian did the math. If you add up all the time I have spent pumping in the past 6 months and it is at least a week and half nonstop. That is crazy. Most of the time when I was pumping, I had to take care of Austin too. I can’t tell you the number of times I got everything set up and then Austin started screaming. That was painful. Also there were so many times I would pump in the middle of the night day after day too so I would ensure I would have enough milk. When you care for a baby you don’t get much sleep. When you tack on pumping too, it gets exhausting.


I was worried how Austin would react to formula. He seems to be doing well with it. Right now I am mixing half breast milk and half water to make the formula. Soon though it will be solely water. Austin is still not too sure about eating solids. He has had rice cereal, carrots, squash, green beans, and bananas so far. He will eat all of those foods but not that well. It is still really new for him. It will take time.

We took some 6 month photos with Austin today and they came out really good. He is such a cute baby. People come up to us in the store to tell us how cute he is (actually people come up to Brian - it is interesting that people regularly come up to him when he is alone with Austin, but they won't whenever I am around).



No comments:

Post a Comment