Sunday 10 October 2010

End of Vacation (24 weeks 1 day)

We are back home now. Vacation was wonderful. Brian and I really enjoyed our trip together. We got to do some really cool things plus relax a lot too. It is amazing to think that baby has already went through the Panama Canal with us. Baby sure has been a lot of places already! Baby was good throughout the trip. I was nervous that I might have problems while far from home and go into labor or something crazy but everything went really well.

Baby was really active during the beginning of our trip then he/she calmed down a bit. On the last few days of the cruise I barely felt baby move. Of course, we got nervous since I was not feeling baby as much. He/she is back to being active again, so there are no worries. Baby is most active first thing in the morning (before I get out of bed).

We did end up buying the cute baby outfit we saw on the cruise. We think it is cute now but in a few months we probably won’t find the party at 3am in baby’s room as amusing. We read a lot about breastfeeding while we were on this trip. That is going to be a challenge. I really hope that baby and I are successful but time will tell. I think I am more nervous about breastfeeding than labor. That is a scary thought.

At the end of our cruise, Brian and I were emotional. We knew that so much is going to change for us starting at the end of this trip. The obvious is that we will not be traveling as extensively and exotically. However we also have a lot of things going on with our family, work, and leisure. Brian’s grandfather (Gramps) was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He is still undergoing additional tests so we don’t know much yet. This is going to be really difficult time for our family on many levels. Brian and Gramps have a close relationship. They are very similar in many ways and Brian has learned so much from him.

I never realized how much knowing that you are having a baby changes you. It makes you think of things from the past and, of course, the future. The main theme that always comes up is family. It is neat because we are now creating our own family. However it is also sad because we know that our baby may not really ever know some very important people that helped shape our lives. Baby will never know Brian’s dad since he passed away 5 years ago. We are sad about that. When Brian’s dad was dying in the hospital, Brian was outside the hospital using a cell phone to call family from out of town. While talking he saw a pregnant woman go into the hospital and a baby leaving with new parents. It made him think of the circle of life. That is becoming extremely real for us now. Grandma and Gramps are still doing extremely well for their age and hopefully have many more quality years left. However realistically baby will not know them as well as we do. It’s really sad just because baby will not be able to remember these young years. We are going to buy a video camera and tape some interactions with Grandma and Gramps so one day we will be able to show our son/daughter these amazing people.

Then we have work that is also changing for us too. Another company bought out Brian’s company. This happened while we were on the cruise. We are optimistic that it will end up being a positive thing but you never know. My job has been going through a lot of changes and they will be continuing. Before I went on vacation, I was not able to sleep well at all. Interestingly, while on vacation I was able to sleep very well. I am beginning to think stress has something to do with it. Also I may be finally getting used to sleeping on my side.

On the leisure side, our travel will be more low key and domestic in the short term. We also won't be able to go to every Cavs game like we have for the past several years. For the first time in a while, the Cavs are no longer considered a candidate to win it all this year. Changes, changes, and more changes.

I have been more emotional than usual however it is probably due to all the changes that are occurring for us right now. I have also not been feeling like doing too much. I get tired so easily. I really could take a nap everyday. It is time for me and baby to relax. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment