Wednesday 3 November 2010

Bradley Method (27 weeks 5 days)

Last week, we started our child birthing classes, The Bradley Method. It focuses on natural childbirth. We will be attending class two hours a week for 12 weeks. I did not know what to expect but I really like it. I am hoping to have a natural birth. I really don’t like drugs and hope to not pass any medications to baby. It will take a lot dedication and work but it will be worth it. Since I am a nurse, I am realistic too. I understand things happen and I may need to take medication and I am okay with that too if absolutely necessary.

During our first class, we did introductions first. There are 6 other couples in the class. I was surprised how many women there do not work. They don’t even have kids yet and they are not working. I find that kind of crazy. I could not imagine not working. (Maybe I don’t want to be working so hard and so much, but not working at all... wow!) Then we did a task where Brian had to give me directions on where to walk while I was blindfolded. It was a trusting exercise. I trust Brian completely and we did not have any issues with it. I knew it would not let me run into anything or fall down the stairs. Initially he did tell me that the instructions said we had to go outside and cross Cedar road (4 lane busy road) but he was only kidding. It was fun. Then the “moms” had to give the “dads” a backrub. (It is weird to think of us as mom and dad). Brian enjoyed his nice backrub. After that was over the instructor told that dads that they better have enjoyed it because it was the last time they would be getting it. Poor dads!

At the end of the class we were given our homework assignment. First we have to write down everything we eat for the week. Of course they chose the week of Halloween for that! They are concerned with how much protein the moms are eating. They want us to eat 100gm of protein a day. That is impossible for me!!! I looked online and the general recommendation for pregnant women is 70gm per day. That is a little more realistic. I am currently eating 50-80gm a protein a day. I am trying to eat more but it is hard.

Brian staged this photo earlier in the summer. Despite being
hungrier, I don't eat an entire box of cereal at a time!

My other homework assignment is to do several exercises to prepare my body for childbirth. I need to walk as much as possible (at least 10 minutes a day). I definitely have that covered. I should also sit on the floor Indian style more often instead of sitting in a chair with your legs in a dependent position. I do that a lot too even while sitting in a chair. I also need to squat often. When I first started doing them my legs were a little sore but now I am good and do about 10-15 per day. Another exercise I am doing is pelvic rock. They want me to do 20 four times a day and 40 at bedtime. Now for those women who do not work that is possible however for me this is not. (I’m not doing them on the hospital floor!) I am doing about 40-60 per day. That is the best I can do right now just because I don’t have the time. Another exercise I must do everyday if the butterfly working my abductor muscles in my legs. I only have to do 5 a day so that is easy. Plus I am to do 100 kegel exercises a day. I do them often so I am close to that. It is a lot of work to do all of this but it will be worth it in the end.

Also this past week, the Cavs started. We are planning on going to all the Cavs games until baby is born. It was fun to go and watch them again. I hope they do well this season even though it is not looking too pretty right now. I think we may be taking baby to a Cavs game in the spring. That should be fun too! Baby is getting use to hearing all the Cavs chants right now. I dressed up as Moondog for the Halloween game.

Also this past weekend, we had to finish registering for our baby shower. It was fun to look through all kinds of baby things and pick out stuff. However it was also difficult because we wanted to make sure we were registering for good things so we would look at reviews and compare them to others. We are just crazy like that. We mostly registered at Amazon.com. It was perfect for us to look at reviews and pick out things. We buy so much online anyways so it makes sense to us. It is much easier than going to a store and trying to find something. Plus they have free shipping so it’s great. We also registered at Target for those people who don’t like to shop online. That was not as fun of an experience but we did it. I am excited to have our house looking like a baby lives in it (as long as too much clutter does not accumulate).

This week we are touring daycares. It has been a very interesting experience. More to come on them on my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment