Sunday 26 August 2012

Off to the Hospital

Let's go Mommy!  I'm taking you to the hospital.
Brian sent out the photo above as a text message to announce to our family that I was leaving for the hospital.



The last few days I have had contractions, but they haven't really been regular or anything. Generally they come for an hour or so and then just stop suddenly. Today my contractions really started to get regular when we were at the grocery store around 11am. They have remained fairly regular since then. I tried to take a nap when Austin went to nap around 1pm, but I couldn't go to sleep because the contractions kept coming. Unlike before, they weren't going away even as I changed my behavior (the classic Braxton Hicks sign of fake contractions). Around 1:30, I called my parents to come up early to watch Austin. They were already planning to come up at 3:00 to see Austin anyway. My contractions have continued and are probably around 5-6 minutes apart on average according to my contraction app. I don't want to go the hospital any earlier than I have to since they'll just tie me down. Therefore I am going to try to wait it out. Since my doctor wanted a little bit more notice than the last time (since I showed up at the hospital at 7cm and the second child is suppose to go faster). I called my doctor around 3:30 or so and just gave him a heads up that I wasn't going to the hospital yet, but it seemed like it would be soon. I've walked around the yard with Austin and everyone, rolled around on my birthing ball, and otherwise tried to pass the time and stay distracted. So far so good.

My contractions are varying, but on average they are still about 5 minutes apart so I'm staying at home as long as I can.  I've been walking around the front yard with Austin, my parents, and Brian.  The neighbors came over and gave Austin some bubbles and a football.  He liked that.

It's around 4:30 and now my contractions are about 3 minutes apart, so we are going to leave for the hospital here shortly.  We stopped to get a water on the way so Brian would have something to drink in case his cough bothered him.  We later saw the receipt was timestamped 4:51, so we were just getting on I-271 at Route 14 a few minutes after this.  Here we go...

What it looked like when we pulled into Hillcrest hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment